Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Teacher Gifts

I've worked with children a majority of my life. I never had brothers or sisters, but I had the opportunity to babysit plenty of times. To me, it was never quite babysitting so much as it was getting payed to play. I think I had as much fun as the kids did!

I first started babysitting when I was about 12 years old for my neighbors next door. They were a serious couple; the type of dry people who don't always get when you crack a joke. They were really nice people though and their kids loved to read books and would ask me to do different voices for all of the characters.

Once I 'grew up', I went and got my CDA (Childhood Development Associates Credential) after being observed for a week at the nearby Head Start program and then I got my first official job working at a drug and alcohol rehabilitation center watching children while their moms got therapy for their addictions. It was a hard job in the sense that it was emotionally and mentally draining. Some of those Moms didn't care about those kids.

The drug and alcohol rehabilitation center was also beside the halfway house and it was S-C-A-R-Y. If you don't know what a halfway house is, it's also a rehabilitation center but this one was for people on their way back into society from prison. It was only for men so as I'd walk to work and pass the building, men would lean out the window sills and cat call and shout dirty things out the window. I hated walking by that building and I hated seeing Moms who didn't care about what happened to their children, so after a year I flew the coop and landed a job at a Montessori Preschool about 15 minutes down the road.

What a change! The parents adored their children; they wanted an active role in their child's life, they participated in fund raisers, they came to sing Christmas songs and to drink hot cocoa. They planted flowers in the spring and helped us celebrate Dia De Los Muertos in the Fall. I loved it. These parents were grateful for us and told us how much their children loved us. They gave us little tokens of affection at Christmas and Valentines Day.

It was still a lot of work, but it was rewarding. It was amazing watching children grow by leaps and bounds and to see how smart they were getting. I really miss that aspect of teaching!

Since I know how hard these teachers work, I know how much they need to be told what a great job they are doing. Sometimes we think that they know, and in some way, they DO know when we smile at them and thank them at the end of each day but it's kind of nice that we have holidays that prompt us to tell them more directly 'Job well done'.

Peyton was out of school for Christmas so he didn't give Christmas gifts this year to his teachers (he was out from Thanksgiving to January fighting ear infections and a cold). So this will be his first time giving something to his teachers. I saw this idea on another blog and I just dolled it up a bit and made it my own. I gave each teacher a gift card to Sonic so they can get some treats that they'd like themselves. I loved this whole idea, and luckily I had all of the supplies on hand, except for the ribbon which I picked up last night!

'So Fortunate To Have You As My Teacher'
Aren't they cute?

Did you do anything special for the teachers in your life?

Speaking of Valentine's Day gifts, my friend Jessica drove down on Sunday all the way from Omaha to visit for a night. She left at 3 a.m. and didn't get to my house until 6:30 p.m. at night!

It was really good to see her and to visit with her three musketeers (Brennan, Jackson and Ethan). I hope she'll be able to come back and visit for longer (hint, hint) next time. I still can't believe that neither one of us got out a camera to document our visit though. :-(

Jess and the boys left at around 10 a.m. the very next morning to continue their journey to Vidalia, Louisiana; but not before showering my kids with gifts!

Jessica has an Etsy shop through which she sells these adorable tee shirts that she makes. Peyton and Chloe were the lucky recipient of two of these shirts handmade by Jess and we {heart} them. Sorry for the poor quality of the pictures; it was late, the kids were tired; Chloe's hair is a mess and they both wouldn't sit still, but hopefully you can get the general idea of what these shirts look like!

'C' is for Chloe!
Even Chloe's pigtails look tired!
'P' is for Peyton! Don't you love the skull and crossbones? I love the red around it that makes it pop!
 This is about as good as I could get. No smiles from little girl, she was ready for her bed. :-)

Thanks so much Jess! You didn't have to bring us gifts but I'm glad you did!

Oh and if you (yes, you!) want to get a shirt for your very own, give Jessica about two weeks to get back from vacation and her shop re-stocked she'll have cute stuff in for St. Patties Day! :-)

Photobucket

1 comment:

Jessica said...

aw, lexi...you are too sweet. we loved meeting your little munchkins and hanging out, even if it was for just a little while. your kids are so cute in their shirts, and i'm not just saying that b/c i made them. glad you like them.
oh, and i am going to "borrow" that idea for teacher appreciation week for brennan's teachers. thanks for sharing.