Tuesday, July 27, 2010

On Being On Hiatus

It's been quiet around here.

Have you noticed?

My time hasn't been my own lately. I am enveloped in caring for two lumps of soft flesh that clamber daily for stories out of picture books, castles built out of blocks, piggy back rides up the stairs and snacks tucked into waiting palms.

I have also been feeling rather melancholy; there's a lingering, drifting sadness that washes in and goes out with the tide and ebbs and flows just like the sea itself. I have ups and downs, but regardless of what is going on, every day there is this sadness that clings to me like seaweed. I have always known that I suffer from depression, but some times are worse than others and recently it has been back full force-- leaving me floundering like a buoy in the storm.

For weeks I have felt like I am nothingness epitomized. Like I could disappear tomorrow and no one would notice. Maybe the kids would notice for a little while but when I wasn't in their peripheral vision, when I wasn't there to bathe and dress them, to play and sing to them, to read and comfort them, they'd find a new moon to orbit their sun.

I am reminded of a quote from a movie we watched recently where the main character says, "In a room full of people, I have never felt so alone." Many times, I feel just that-- like I am in a room full of people who are happy and confident and going on with life without me while I feel as though all of the light of the world has been snuffed out and I am struggling to find my way back in the darkness.

I don't want to be forgotten. I think that is what is troubling me so much-- I want to be somebody, to do something, to be remembered for more than just being a mother. I agonize over being asked what it is that I "do". I dread being asked that and when I am confronted with that awful question I almost feel like apologizing for it-- sorry, I'm just a Mom. That's all I "do". And though there are many women that are proud of the title 'mother' and rightly should be since it is such an important job, I feel like I want more in life than just that role and title.

Through thinking of this and what it is that has been troubling me, I have come to the realization that I am not a very good mother, nurturer, care giver. I recognize that I am selfish with my time, that I want to be "me" a little too much, though I don't even know who "me" is any more.

Don't get me wrong, I love the children.

 I do.

 But there is a lot of regret, a lot of unfulfilled wishes and dreams behind all of that too.

I regret not learning culinary arts when I had the chance because I was scared of the instructor and thought I couldn't do it.

I wish I had traveled the world and learned more about the history and the story of different architectural wonders as well as the local people and their rulers and the cultures they were surrounded by.

I would love to learn to speak another language fluently instead of grasping at straws because I know a few phrases but not enough to communicate with any one.

I yearn to write a book that will do well-- not for monetary reasons but because I want to leave my mark on this earth when I am dust once more. But I am afraid to keep writing because simply put, everyone and their dog is writing. Someone always knows someone who has written a book or is writing a book or who has a blog or who writes articles. It's no longer something distinguished-- it's like saying I drank a glass of water today-- nearly everyone has done that.

Not only is the writing thing troubling me, but I also want to learn to sew, to garden, to decorate cakes, write calligraphy, draw, paint, make stained glass, swim successfully without doggy paddling, learn to do mathematics with ease, fix a car, hang a picture straight, use a table saw, build furniture, reupholster my couches, run a full marathon, etc... There simply isn't enough time in the day-- and it feels like time is flying by faster than ever now.

I know there will come a time when the kids go back to school and I will have time to do those things-- they won't be little forever. But there is this sinking feeling that I am losing me while I am janitor, chauffeur, housekeeper, maid, laundress, chef, nurse and general gopher for them.

I know there will be people who read this and think that I am selfish and that I should enjoy spending time with my children while they still want to spend time with me. I agree. I know I should, but when you are in a state of mourning for yourself and in the thick of things with depression, logic is thrown out the window.

Just feel better!-- you might say. Stop thinking about those things! Just be happy!

Easier said than done.

But I am trying. Every day I try to do a little better, to forget about me for this space of time and to let my children wish and dream because right now it is their time to explore this world.

And while I am trying to be there for my two impressionable little babies, I also try to carve out time for me so I can continue to be strong for them. I think that is why my current goal of training for a half marathon is so important to me-- because it will be an accomplishment just for me. A goal that I've been working towards and living for that will strengthen me and in turn strengthen my family.

So, if you find me reading in between nap times or holed up "using" the bathroom when I'm really trying to skim a paragraph or two, or catch me trying a new recipe or see a calligraphy set scattered among scrap paper, just know that I am trying to retain a little of "me" too.

How do you make time for yourself?

What do you do when you feel like you are forgetting who you are?

Photobucket

13 comments:

Melissa said...

Hi Lexi. I am so glad you made a post. Just the other day I was wondering how you were doing. So trust me that you are noticed :)

I don't think that you should feel selfish AT ALL. What a great thing that you want to keep pushing yourself which I believe can make you a better mom.

A friend of mine once told me that she tries learning something new every year. I thought, "What a great thing!" I have tried to apply it to my life and have really enjoyed it. This year I have focused on learning a little about photography. It has been so fun. Next year I am thinking about gardening. We can't do everything at once so I have to settle for one thing a year :) At least while I am a mom of little kids!

You are such a wonderful person. Sometimes it can get hard and exhausting. But just remember you are the person that many of us are looking up to! Your kids are lucky to have you.

adamanderin said...

I couldn't have said it better myself! I have been feeling this way for some time, but never had the courage to write it down, much less put it out there for everyone to read....so, thank you! I have been struggling with these same issues ever since becoming a mother. It is the most amazing thing in the world to be a mother, but that is not all we are! We owe it to ourselves and our children to be so much more!! I feel that if we keep carving out little snippets of time for ourselves amidst the mothering and the chaos, we will not only be amazing mothers, but we will become even more amazing people!

Do you mind if I link to this post on my blog?

Lexi said...

Erin-- link away! I'm honored.

Thanks for the kind words girls. It means a lot to know I'm not alone feeling like I want/need to be more!

Lauren said...

I saw this on Erin's blog. It's exactly the way I've been feeling--down to the depression, the selfishness, and losing "me" without even knowing who I am anymore. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Let me know if you find a solution!

Jessica said...

I love you and have missed your musings on your blog...I love your writing style.
I think the words you typed sum up many more of us then you think...even those who seem well adjusted, in love with motherhood, happy with everything.
AND...when you go to culinary arts school, I totally want to live in your town to sample your creations. :D
How do I find me time? I read when I should cook supper, blog when I should fold towels, and sneak away for a bit when I should be spending time with bart or the boys. It's only a moment here and there, but for now it is enough. Well, it has to be so I will take it.
You are never alone and you have left a mark on my that I will always remember. Darn you and your tattoo gun ;)

Kathy said...

I am sure all mothers feel like that at some point. I know I do.

I love teaching others to sew & also love to travel.
I can go for cheap & we have buddy passes. call me
kathyfowler17@ yahoo.com
682-667-0692

aidanjordan said...

One word: EXACTLY! This is exactly how I feel, though I couldn't have put it into words quite so eloquently. I couldn't even describe to Jeremy how excited I was to get the treadmill. It brings me back to a time before kids when I was so dedicated to running and didn't have this "baby belly" weighing me down. And although I do work, I certainly don't think it is anything of importance and I'm sure when I die people won't say, "Wow, she was such a great underwriting analyst".

I think it would help if I felt comfortable enough to leave the kids with a sitter more often...but I just don't. And I know that is my issue, but it has gotten to the point where I start to resent some of our other friends that go out ALL THE TIME and do lots of fun things because they DO feel comfortable leaving their kids with people (Ok, so they have lots of family in the area, so that helps.)

One thing that does help me is to remember that when I am older and have lots of time to regain my focus on me, I will miss having small children, so I need to just make the most of it now and soak them up as much as possible.

I am going to start pumping and trying to get Joey used to a bottle so that we can get a sitter. We need to get together soon and just go do something fun.

Jeni said...

Last night I was looking at old video of Calyn when she was littler. I already missed her chubby baby cheeks and her jibber jabber. Someday I'll miss her cute little three year old self, so I decided I needed to not be so annoyed with her. And then, today I failed at trying to be better: It's a chore to get packed up and go to the splash park. Once we were there, she got sunscreen in her eyes and stopped playing. She was crying and I just got so mad at her because THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS WITH SUNSCREEN. I tell her to not rub her eyes, she forgets, and the drama starts all over. I turned her around, told her to go play and she just stood there crying looking like there was nobody to help her, nobody that cared about her. It broke my heart and I immediately felt guilty and gave her some loves. I just wanted to relax in the lawn chair, chat with my friend, and drink my diet coke. Her sunscreen problem interfered with what I wanted to do. I've just got to keep trying.

Oh, and if you had traveled the world, gone to culinary school, etc. you probably wouldn't have met Troy and had those babies. You are exactly where you're suppose to be doing exactly what you're meant to do;)

hkobeal said...

Oh, Lexi. How could you possibly think you are alone in feeling like this? Women are insane for keeping feelings like this bottled in because we all feel them.

As for me, obviously I have felt these same feelings because I decided that if I was "just" a mom, that would be the end of me. I am confident that I am a better mom, friend, wife, sister because of my career. Sounds like it doesn't add up--I'm a better mom because I leave my kids? Uh, in my case, yeah.

I keep waiting for the nostalgia to kick in. I keep waiting for it to seem like the time has flown. I'm in this nearly 14 years and I have NEVER felt like that. It has all felt long and hard to me. Sure, I love my kids. They're great kids. But it's hard. Hard. Hard.

The other day, I told Brent that I MIGHT like to go back and spend a day with Stuart the little sumo wrestler when he was about a year old. And then I reconsidered and decided I might go back for an hour or two, but no way would I go back for a whole day. Gasp!

Lyndsay said...

I noticed you were gone! I feel like you do sometimes, too. And probably more in the last year than ever. So you're not alone! It's hard, too, when we are always looking at blogs that provide a perfect little window into people's lives. Even I don't post the gritty details, usually. So I appreciate your honest post!


About the writing thing, don't get discouraged. I think a great place to start is to try something simple, maybe for children. Then submit it someplace not as intimidating. Take a look at this. GREAT place to start:
http://deseretbook.com/pages/author_guidelines

Scroll down until you see the part about children's books. It seems like such an inviting way to get your feet wet as a potential author.

It's so tough that everyone seems to be doing the same thing lately:
everyone writes
everyone designs
everyone photographs
everyone blogs
everyone crafts
everyone is a culinary genius (woah, not me for sure)

But your stamp will be unique no matter what. I tell myself that every day (even if I am not listening very well). And I also love this quote:
"A professional writer is an amateur who never gave up."

The only way I make time for me is to let the laundry and dishes get ridiculous for a while. It'll be fine. I need to try something new and creative to feel alive again. I know that I will never be juggling all the balls up in the air at the same time. I am learning to come to terms with that, sometimes begrudgingly. :)

Natalie said...

Lexi,
I'm glad to know you're normal like the rest of us! I think you are on the right track with the marathon. When I had 2 babies, I started making rag quilts. You know the ones. When the kids were asleep (naps & at night), I sewed. It saved my sanity by giving something to do that was not about being Mommy, and it was something to look forward to every day. I eventually got sick of the quilts, but by then I was past the going nuts stage. I never believed it when people told me this, but it is true: they grow up so fast! I never thought I could just sit down & read an entire magazine with my kids present, but now I do it all the time! There is light at the end of the tunnel!
I just remembered something else that was a life-saver. It was my husband's idea, which was fantastic, but I think most husbands could be persuaded to do it. He instituted "mommy's night out" a couple times a month. I was to be ready to head out the door when he got home from work, and not come home until after the kids would be in bed. He did dinner, baths, etc. and I did whatever I wanted! Those nights off helped so much. They ended when the kids got in preschool and I didn't feel like I needed them any more.

I hope you find a way to take care of yourself--it will not only help you feel better, your kids will be better off, too.

Julie Lovell said...

Hey Lex,

I can definitely relate to those feelings!

But I do want to tell you I have no doubt you will leave your mark on the world. You are the most gifted writer I know. I love your creative musings, willingness to embrace fun things, your humor, and your enjoyable personality. Reading your blog always makes me aknowledge how bland I am. You are one cool mom and a thoughtful friend. I wish we lived closer so we could take turns watching eachother's kids!

Take care!

Love,
Jules

Amelia said...

Hi there! I came here from Cjane's blog and I just wanted to say that I think you are very normal. I like what you said about writing a book and drinking a glass of water. It made me smile because it's so true. When I started my blog, I was hoping to write for others. It was when I decided that I wanted to do it for me and for my children that I really started to enjoy writing.

I feel very fortunate that depression has left me alone since I became an adult, but even then, I have days that I feel much of what you have described. I hope you find some things that will help you stay in your joyful places. Best wishes to you!