Monday, April 20, 2009

Shhhh...


I have a secret.

Do you want to know what it is?

Come closer...

Just a little bit closer...

Ok.

Are you ready for it?

I listened to polka music when I was a kid.

No lie!

It was all my Grandma's doing- I would visit her in Wisconsin and she would play polka music in her car {on cassette tape!} as we ran errands around town and sometimes we'd hear loud notes of it float over Katinka Lake from some Oktoberfest party in the evening after the sun had set. We'd sit outside and watch the lightening bugs flit through the trees, the loons cry on the water and marvel at the heat lightening in the distance all while we tapped our toes to the beat. My favorite song was the ever so cheesy yet catchy tune called 'The Pennsylvania Polka'. I would even catch myself humming it sometimes {and maybe I still do!}

One year, my Grandma sent me my very own cassette tape of polka music and sometimes when the mood would strike, I would wait until everyone was in bed, turn the volume down low and play myself some polka waltzes. I had to wait until everyone was in bed because it was embarrassing! I mean, how many of your friends were listening to polka music when you were a kid?! Can't think of any? See what I mean?!

My other favorite thing to do growing up which I also attribute with my Grandma was to play Gypsy Princess with her. I have no idea how this started! But one summer she came up to Alaska and she rented us a little cabin and nearly every night, I'd put on a long gypsy skirt, wear lots of bangle bracelets with long dangling earrings and don fake press-on nails and we'd roast hot dogs and eat s'mores over our little campfire off to the side.

It wasn't until I was a young adult that she finally fessed up and told me that she couldn't stand hot dogs to that day since we ate so many on that adventure and didn't much care for them even back then but she did it for me anyway. That's love! From there on out, she would call me her 'Gypsy Princess' and she was 'Zee Queen'. That nickname has still endured! Sometimes when I talk to her she still calls me her little gypsy princess.

So there you have it.

I am a polka listening Gypsy Princess from Alaska who likes to roast hot dogs and eat s'mores.

Now it's your turn!

Out with it!

What are your childhood secrets?

Photobucket

4 comments:

Jessica said...

They used to call me the Food Nazi b/c I was so strict with making sure everyone got EXACTLY the same amount of things, like pizza, cookies, etc.

Jeni said...

I stopped reading at "polka music."

Bruce and Chris said...

The Pennsylvania Polka is a classic! Growing up with Cleveland TV, Saturday afternoon always brought "Polka Varieties". Thankfully, I always had something to do outside! But, as Big Joe from Big Joe's Polka Hour (Sat. night, 10pm, RFDTV) always says: "Happy music for happy people". Roll out the barrel!

Deryl Stonestreet said...

When I was growing up, my next door neighbor Kathy and I were best friends. She had an older brother that liked to torment us both. He gave each of us a nickname that stuck up until high school (at least when we were around him). Kathy was Sadie Nutsenheimer and I was Zelda Finklestein! Now that is a mouthful! I think secretly, I liked being Zelda. I thought it sounded exotic. LOL